These quick Mexican pickled onions in lime juice are so simple, so flavorful, and so beautiful (that bright pink color!) that I just can’t get enough.
This post may include affiliate links to share the things I love.
Mexican Pickled Onions Aren’t Just for Tacos
Lime juice makes these Mexican pickled onions a perfect match for Mexican food, so I made up a batch to top some tacos a couple of weeks ago. Since then I’ve put them on scrambled eggs; a pita sandwich stuffed with broiled salmon; a salad with Romaine lettuce, feta cheese, and tomatoes; bagels and lox; and about a million other things.
Pickled Onions Are Easy to Make
1 Slice the red onion thinly.
2 Pour boiling water over the onions and let stand for about 30 seconds before draining.
3 Add salt and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Pickled Red Onions Have Tons of Flavor with Less Bite than Raw
I love this recipe because, although I do like the bright snappy flavor of onions, particularly in Mexican food, I don’t like them raw. But here the onions are quickly blanched in boiling water to tame their bite, and then quick pickled in lime juice and salt.
The recipe takes less than 5 minutes of hands-on time to make. Your pickled red onions will be good to go after sitting for just 30 minutes, but they get better and better after a day (or a week) in your refrigerator. Oh, and did I mention they only have three ingredients? Yep.
- Red onions
- Lime juice
Keep a Jar of Pickled Onions in the Fridge
Mexican Pickled Onions will last for at least a month in your refrigerator and I guarantee you will not run out of ideas for things to put them on. May I suggest:
- Pulled pork sandwiches
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Fish Tacos, or really any type of tacos
- Grilled meat or fish
- Sandwiches (mmm, how about on a tuna, chicken, or egg salad sandwich?)
- Burgers (they’re a great way to add punch to a turkey burger!)
- Cochinita pibil (a Yucatecan specialty of pork braised in banana leaves)
I could go on and on. But bottom line, you should make these Mexican pickled onions now. You won’t regret it.
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice (from about 6 limes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Put a kettle of water on the stove to boil. Place the sliced onions in a heat-proof and non-reactive bowl (glass or ceramic). When the water boils, pour it over the onions to cover. Stir and let sit for about 10 seconds, then pour into a colander to drain.
- Return the onions to the bowl and add the lime juice and salt. Stir to mix well. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving. Store in a covered glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 9 Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 318mg Carbohydrates 2g Fiber 0g Sugar 1g Protein 0g