Green Papaya Salad or som tum is a refreshing Thai salad made with long strands of crisp green papaya in a spicy-tangy-salty-sweet lime juice and fish sauce dressing.
This post may include affiliate links to share the things I love.
Quick & Easy Papaya Salad
Green papaya salad is a dish you’ll find at just about any Thai restaurant in the US, and you’ll see it in street stalls and restaurants in Thailand as well. Thai cuisine expertly combines spicy, sweet, sour, and salty flavors and this salad is no exception.
Simple Ingredients for Green Papaya Salad
- Thai chiles (also called bird’s eye chiles) or red serrano chiles
- Roasted peanuts
- Lime juice
- Fish sauce (I love Red Boat brand!)
What is green papaya? Is it different from regular papaya?
Green papaya is unripe papaya. It is not a different fruit from the typical yellow papaya that you usually eat plain or in fruit salads. When still green and unripe, the texture of the flesh is crisper and the flavor milder and less sweet. You can buy green papaya in Asian markets. In my market, the unripe green papayas are labeled “Thai cooking papaya.”
Is green papaya good for you?
Yes! Papayas are loaded with nutrients and enzymes that aid digestion and soothe the digestive system. Green papayas are even higher in these enzymes than ripe papayas.
How do you julienne it
I’ve seen Thai women hold
Is it possible to make vegetarian green papaya salad?
Yes, you can make this salad vegetarian by substituting low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos for the fish sauce.
Can this salad recipe be made ahead?
You can definitely prepare this salad ahead of time. The green papaya and vegetables in this recipe are firm enough that they won’t get soggy in the dressing. Green papaya salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Wondering what to serve with this recipe?
This salad goes well with just about any Thai entrée. I love it with:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Thai (bird’s eye) chilies
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon roasted (unsalted) peanuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 green papaya, peeled and juilienned
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Sliced red chiles, for garnish (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic, chile(s), 2 tablespoons of the peanuts, lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar and process until smooth.
- Place the papaya, carrot, and cabbage in a medium bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to mix.
- Serve immediately, topped with the remaining 3 tablespoons of peanuts and cilantro, mint, and sliced chiles, if using.
Amount Per Serving Calories 51 Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 724mg Carbohydrates 12g Fiber 2g Sugar 7g Protein 2g