Mexican Corn Salad contains all the flavors of street stall corn on the cob. Sweet corn is roasted in the husk and then tossed with rich, creamy butter, freshly squeezed lime juice, diced Jalapeño chiles, and red pepper flakes and then topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. So. Good.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love making this corn salad in the summertime when corn is at its peak. I usually roast the corn in the oven, but if the barbecue is going, it's even easier to throw the unshucked cobs right on the grill.
Why Roast Corn in the Husk?
Roasting the corn in the oven before shucking it is what makes this Mexican corn salad so irresistible. Roasting gives the kernels a deep sweetness.
If you have a grill going, you could grill the unshucked cobs for a similar effect. The intense sweetness and touch of smoky flavor are what make this dish my hands-down my favorite corn dish. Ever.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Mexican Corn Salad?
- 5 or 6 unshucked corn cobs
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Diced jalapeño or serrano peppers
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Mexican Corn Salad
- First, roast the corn. Arrange the unshucked cobs on a rimmed baking sheet and roast them in a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.
- Shuck the corn and cut the kernels from the cobs. After roasting, they're easy to shuck, too. I do this on the rimmed baking sheet, which helps to contain any kernels try to escape.
- Sauté the corn kernels in olive oil just until they begin to brown and then tossed in a couple of tablespoons of butter.
- Toss the corn in freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Add the chiles, chives, and red pepper flakes.
- Finally, grate Parmesan cheese over the top and serve.
The resulting dish is crazy delicious: Deeply sweet corn kernels bathed in butter and lime juice, flecked with spicy chiles and bright
More great salad recipes you'll love
- Persimmon Salad with Curry and Cashews
- Thai Green Papaya Salad
- Kale Salad with Miso Dressing
- Zucchini Salad with Almonds and Corn
- Beet Salad with blue Cheese
- 6 ears of corn, unhusked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime, plus 4 lime wedges for serving
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces (about 1 cup) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place unhusked corn on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, shuck it and cut the kernels from the cobs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Place corn in a medium bowl, squeeze lime juice over and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle chives, jalapeño, and crushed red pepper flakes over the top.
- Serve immediately, passing the grated cheese alongside.
Amount Per Serving Calories 265Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 19mgSodium 190mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 6g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.