Beet hummus is an unexpected and delightful twist on the classic. Beets add a gorgeous, bright hue as well as a flavor boost and additional health benefits. And who doesn't love hummus?
If you’ve ever found yourself with an extra beet or two and wondered what to do with it, you've come to the right place. Adding a beet to your classic hummus recipe is brilliant.
What's so great about beets?
This vegetable, with its jewel-like color, is a true treasure. Here are just a few of the reasons I love beets:
- Their health benefits, which include ridiculously high levels of all kinds of good stuff that cleanses our organs, purifies our blood, and keeps us healthy.
- Their aphrodisiac qualities. It’s true! I read it on the internet. Beets contain a substance that helps humans create sex hormones!
- Their feel-good qualities. Again, according to the all-knowing internet, a substance in beets causes a brain reaction similar to what happens when you eat chocolate. It can even help to alleviate depression. Who couldn't use a little of that?
- The fact that they taste like the vegetable world's version of candy. I mean really, what's not to love?
But if I'm being completely honest, we love beets most for the beautiful pop of bright pink color they add to a plate. Just look at this gorgeous Roasted Beet Hummus. Can you imagine a more perfectly beautiful food?
What ingredients do you need to make beet hummus?
- White beans
- A roasted beet
- Tahini paste
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Salt + pepper
Serve this hummus with raw vegetables or with Homemade Pita Bread for dipping.
More great recipes you'll love
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium beet, roasted (try our easy slow cooker method), peeled, and cut into several pieces
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, or fresh mint leaves to garnish
- Mince the garlic clove in a food processor.
- Add the beans, beet, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and process until smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick, feel free to add additional olive oil as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve at at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving Calories 171Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 0mgSodium 456mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 5g