Have you noticed, attentive readers, how much I love smoked fish? (Permit me to introduce into evidence Exhibit A and Exhibit B.) This is because smoked fish has a very delicious flavor! For lack of a more articulate explanation!
A few weeks ago, a multi-block power failure compromised the menu of the blowout cocktail party my mother was about to start cooking for.
Mom’s next-door neighbor, Marsha, came to the rescue by contributing this delicacy, which requires no electricity to prepare.
I am in no way using hyperbole when I say that I could eat this smoked trout spread every minute of every day forever.
It makes me wish I were a circus seal in training at a really nice circus where they reward obedient seals with this spread, on baguette slices, with a glass of wine.
And a crisp green salad. And the seals live in luxury hotel rooms with an ocean view, spotless bathrooms, and cable TV. That would be cool.
- 8 ounces smoked trout*, skin and any bones removed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 - 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a small serving bowl, mash trout well. Add lemon juice and white pepper.
- If you're using canned trout, stir in about 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise; if using vacuum-packed trout, use about 5 tablespoons. (Give or take, depending on how moist you want the spread to be.)
- Sprinkle chives on top of spread.
- Serve with crackers or sliced bread.
Amount Per Serving Calories 219 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 53mg Sodium 532mg Carbohydrates 1g Fiber 0g Sugar 0g Protein 18g