Have you noticed, attentive readers, how much I love smoked fish? (Permit me to introduce into evidence Exhibit A and Exhibit B.) This is because smoked fish has a very delicious flavor! For lack of a more articulate explanation!
A few weeks ago, a multi-block power failure compromised the menu of the blowout cocktail party my mother was about to start cooking for.
Mom’s next-door neighbor, Marsha, came to the rescue by contributing this delicacy, which requires no electricity to prepare.
I am in no way using hyperbole when I say that I could eat this smoked trout spread every minute of every day forever.
It makes me wish I were a circus seal in training at a really nice circus where they reward obedient seals with this spread, on baguette slices, with a glass of wine.
And a crisp green salad. And the seals live in luxury hotel rooms with an ocean view, spotless bathrooms, and cable TV. That would be cool.
- 8 ounces smoked trout*, skin and any bones removed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 - 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a small serving bowl, mash trout well. Add lemon juice and white pepper.
- If you're using canned trout, stir in about 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise; if using vacuum-packed trout, use about 5 tablespoons. (Give or take, depending on how moist you want the spread to be.)
- Sprinkle chives on top of spread.
- Serve with crackers or sliced bread.
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 53mgSodium 532mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 18g