I decided to make these delicious and adorable Gluten-Free Pecan Tartlets for #RecipeMakeover because they are practically health food. No, seriously. They’re not only gluten free, but also dairy free, refined sugar free, and packed with healthy pecans. The chopped nuts are napped in a rich caramel made from sweet medjool dates and coconut milk. The best part is that these Gluten Free Pecan Tartlets are super easy to make.
For the crust, I used my Gluten Free Pie Crust (without the optional sugar) cut out with a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, fitted into a mini cupcake tin, and par-baked. The filling is just medjool dates, coconut milk, and vanilla extract whirred together in a blender and then mixed with chopped pecans. The rich mixture is spooned into the par-baked mini tart crusts, topped with pecan halves for decoration, and baked in the oven for 10 minutes.
- For the tartlets
- 1/2 batch Gluten Free Pie Crust
- 8 large pitted dates, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 24 pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Dust your work surface lightly with gluten free flour. Roll out the dough so that it is about 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut out circles using a 2 1/2-inch round pastry cutter. Fit the dough circles into the holes of a mini cupcake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- While the crust is being par-baked, make the filling. In the jar of a blender or in a food processor, combine the dates, coconut milk, water, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Remove the par-baked crusts from the oven and reduce the heat to 350ºF.
- Spoon the filling mixture into the crusts, using about 1 tablespoon of filling per tartlet. Top each with a pecan half for decoration.
- Bake the filled tartlets for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm or let cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
Amount Per Serving Calories 62 Total Fat 5g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 11mg Carbohydrates 4g Fiber 1g Sugar 3g Protein 1g
Be sure to visit the other bloggers who are participating in #RecipeMakeover to see what they’re cooking up this week: