This Curry Chicken Salad takes the classic sandwich filler and turns it on its head. It is loaded with flavor, from spicy curry powder to apples, raisins, cashews, cilantro, and scallions. Carrots and celery add addictive texture.
Curry chicken salad is a healthy lunch
This curry chicken salad is one of my favorite lunches. It’s easy to make and so flavorful. Scoop it into crisp lettuce leaves or use it to fill a sandwich or wrap. It has so many healthy ingredients, too!
I have to admit that I didn’t come up with this idea all by myself. It started with Trader Joe’s Curried Chicken Salad with Raisins and Cashews. The TJ’s salad is delicious, but I wanted one I could make myself to use up leftover roast chicken or turkey.
You can use leftover roasted chicken, rotisserie chicken, or even leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Or just grill or steam a couple of chicken breast fillets.
Add a little spice!
I love a dash of sesame chili oil for a little kick. You could use cayenne pepper or drizzle of hot sauce instead.
What’s so great about this salad is the contrast of flavors and textures—sweet apples and raisins, crunchy cashews, celery, and carrots, tender chicken, spicy curry powder, and creamy mayonnaise. I could eat this healthy combo every day.
And it’s versatile, too! You can switch out the apples in exchange for grapes, use red onion instead of scallions, and substitute almonds for cashews if you like. If you don’t have all of the ingredients, don’t stress it! Use something else or just leave it out.
More great chicken recipes you’ll love
- White Bean Chicken Chili
- Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
- Thai Chicken Satay
- Korean Spicy Chicken with Gochujang
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup toasted cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- Sesame-chili oil or cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss all of the ingredients
together until well combined.
- Serve immediately or store, covered, in the refrigerator for
up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 343 Total Fat 25g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 19g Cholesterol 59mg Sodium 397mg Carbohydrates 14g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 7g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 16g