Baked tortilla chips are a healthy alternative to store-bought, high-fat chips. They’re also deliciously addictive and a great way to use up stale corn tortillas.
My family goes nuts for these homemade tortilla chips. The first time I made them, it was purely on a whim. One night I was making chili for dinner. I thought, hmmmm, some tortilla chips would go great with this chili, but all I have are these stale corn tortillas…. And these baked tortilla strips were born.
How do you make baked tortilla chips?
They are easy to make. Here’s the basic process:
- Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut corn tortillas into strips (or triangles if you prefer).
- Toss the tortilla strips with olive oil and salt.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
What do you serve with homemade tortilla chips?
These chips are the perfect topper for a bowl of my Instant Pot Chili or a steaming bowl of pozole. They also work great in Chilaquiles and make that dish a bit lighter than usual. They’d also be great as dippers for salsa, guacamole, or queso dip!
The biggest problem with these homemade tortilla chips is that my family insists on snacking on them as they come out of the oven, so I have to make a bunch of batches if I want to have any left for dinner.
How long will these homemade chips last?
If your family has more restraint and doesn’t eat them all as soon as you make them, they’ll keep for a few days in a resealable plastic bag on the counter.
You can use fresh tortillas to make this recipe, but rest assured, even tortillas that are on their last legs will turn out fine. I always buy the giant packs of tortillas now because they’re more economical, and I know that I can make a few batches of chips with however many don’t get eaten before they get stale.
More great Mexican recipes you'll love
- Homemade Corn Tortillas
- Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa Verde
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into strips or triangles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Toss the tortilla strips in a bowl with the olive oil and salt until well coated.
- Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on the pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until the chips are nicely browned and crisp. Watch them carefully for the last few minutes because they can burn quickly.
Amount Per Serving Calories 161Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 60mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 3g
Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.