This quick lime juice pickled onion recipe is so simple, so flavorful, and so beautiful (that bright pink color!) that I just can’t get enough. The lime juice makes these pickled onions a perfect match for Mexican food, so I made up a batch to top some goat tacos a couple of weeks ago, but since then I’ve put them on scrambled eggs; a pita sandwich stuffed with broiled salmon; a salad with Romaine lettuce, feta cheese ,and tomatoes; bagels and lox; and about a million other things.
I love this recipe because, although I do like the bright snappy flavor of onions, particularly in Mexican food, I am not a fan of eating them raw. Here the onions are quickly blanched in boiling water to take out their bite, and then quick pickled in lime juice and salt.
The recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make. Your pickled onions will be good to go after sitting for just 30 minutes, but they get better and better after a day (or a week) in your refrigerator. Oh, and did I mention they only have three ingredients? Yep. Red onions (you could use another type of onion, but you’d miss out on that stunning hue), lime juice, and salt. That’s it!
Pickled onions will last for at least 3 weeks in your refrigerator and I guarantee you will not run out of ideas for things to put them on. May I suggest pulled pork sandwiches, tostadas, enchiladas, any sort of taco, grilled meat or fish, salads, sandwiches (mmm, how about on a tuna, chicken, or egg salad sandwich?), sausage sandwiches, burgers (they’re a great way to add punch to a turkey burger!)… I could go on and on. Bottom line, you should make these pickled onions today. You won’t regret it.Print
This quick pickled onion recipe uses just lime juice, red onions, and salt. It takes only a few minutes to make, and is ready to eat after sitting for just 30 minutes or so. The pickled onions will keep well in the refrigerator for up to three weeks and they’re great on everything from tacos to sandwiches, salads, and more.
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice (from about 6 limes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Put a kettle of water on the stove to boil. Place the sliced onions in a heat-proof and non-reactive bowl (glass or ceramic). When the water boils, pour it over the onions to cover. Stir and let sit for about 10 seconds, then pour into a colander to drain.
- Return the onions to the bowl and add the lime juice and salt. Stir to mix well. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving. Store in a covered glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.