If you loved Robin’s famous Baked Eggs in a Potato Crust, you’ll also love these Baked Eggs with Greens—though probably not quite as much as those damn potato eggs! I’m just being honest. There’s no way any other baked eggs on earth can ever compete with those precious, crunchy, potato-crusted cups of savory-sweet perfection. But these delightful, easy eggies boast their own wonderful qualities: perfumey fresh herbs, healthy greens, tangy goat cheese, and a generous dollop of crème fraîche that gives them an extraordinary richness. And being served in individual ramekins, of course, makes them seem extra special. (Ok, ok, ramekins are not more special than heavenly golden potato cups. I know already.)
Bonus: this is one of the easiest baked egg recipes I’ve ever encountered. I learned about it when my clever friend Hilary whipped them up at a recent pot-luck brunch party. She breezed in with the ingredients, casually tossed them into ramekins, and popped them into the oven without the tiniest hint of cooking stress. That’s how Hilary rolls! She even used blue-shelled eggs made by her own pet chickens!
Related bonus: this recipe is forgiving and flexible. Use whatever cooked greens you have lying around (chard, kale, spinach, arugula). Use your favorite fresh herbs (basil, thyme, oregano). You can even use dried herbs if you don’t have fresh herbs on hand. Experiment with different cheeses. Do whatever the hell you want! Then tell us about it in the comments.Print
You can use any greens you like in this super easy baked egg recipe. If you don’t have leftover cooked greens lying around, simply sauté or steam a small bunch of your favorite greens while the oven is heating.
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 cup cooked greens, any kind (chard, kale, spinach, arugula) cooked in any manner (sautéed, steamed)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, oregano)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 3 ounces goat cheese (Chèvre)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil or butter 4 8-ounce ramekins.
- Dividing evenly, spoon a dollop of the crème fraiche into each of the ramekins, followed by 1/4 of the cooked greens. Crack one egg into each ramekin.
- Sprinkle green onions and herbs over the top, followed by a chunk of goat cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until egg is cooked (20 – 25 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes before serving.