If you’ve ever wondered what to do with beets, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Two Lazy Gourmets, we love us some beets. We love them steamed, pickled, roasted, and even raw.
We wouldn’t be lying if we said we love this treasure of a vegetable for its health benefits, which include ridiculously high levels of all kinds of good stuff that we’re told cleanses our organs, purifies our blood, and keeps us healthy. Or that we are drawn to beets for their aphrodisiac qualities (it’s true! We read it on the internet. Beets contain a substance that helps humans create sex hormones!) Or that we appreciate their feel-good qualities (Again, according to the all-knowing internet, a substance in beets causes a brain reaction similar to what happens when you eat chocolate. It can even help to alleviate depression. Who couldn’t use a little of that?) And then there’s the fact that they taste like the vegetable world’s version of candy. I mean really, what’s not to love?
But if we’re being completely honest, we love beets most for the beautiful pop of color they add to a plate. Just look at this gorgeous Roasted Beet Hummus. Can you imagine a more perfectly beautiful food?
For this quick hummus, I used beets that I roasted in a slow cooker, but you could use store-bought steamed beets if you don’t feel like roasting or steaming the beets yourself. Made like a traditional hummus, with beans, garlic, and tahini, this bright spread is sweeter than the regular type, thanks to the addition of beets. A dose of freshly ground pepper adds a welcome bite.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium beet, roasted (try our easy slow cooker method), peeled, and cut into several pieces
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, or fresh mint leaves to garnish
- Mince the garlic clove in a food processor.
- Add the beans, beet, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and process until smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick, feel free to add additional olive oil as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve at at room temperature.