Cauliflower appears, at first glance, to be the humblest of vegetables, too polite even to show off with a hint of color in its tightly bound florets. But a long roast in a hot oven has the same effect on cauliflower as a few cocktails might on a normally shy person. The heat loosens it up and suddenly this veggie is anything but a wallflower. Its true personality tumbles forth—rich, earthy, sweet, and caramel-like—and the golden florets become the life of the party. Purée them with broth, cream, and roasted onions, add a decadent swirl of truffle oil and you’ve got yourself a grand opener for a festive winter meal.
This cauliflower soup has only five ingredients, plus salt, pepper, and olive oil, and couldn’t be easier to make.
The soup can be made a couple of days in advance, leaving out the truffle oil. Store, covered, in the fridge until ready to serve. Before serving, reheat over medium heat until warmed, stir in the truffle oil, and continue following instructions. From The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy
- 1 head cauliflower (about 1½ pounds florets), cut into small chunks
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, cut into wedges
- olive oil or olive oil spray
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spread cauliflower and onion on a baking sheet and brush, drizzle, or spray with olive oil to coat thoroughly.
- Roast in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring once about halfway through, until cauliflower is tender and beginning to brown.
- In a stockpot, combine the cauliflower, onion, and broth. Using an immersion blender (or in batches in a countertop blender or food processor), purée the soup until smooth.
- Heat soup over medium-high heat to just below boiling.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, cream, and truffle oil. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with an extra swirl of truffle oil. Serve immediately.